Did you know that driving laws say that the pedestrian always has the right of way? Drivers should always yield to a pedestrian crossing the street, but if you’ve spent any amount of time driving, you know that this does not always happen. Crosswalk traffic signs are a great way to reinforce driving laws and keep pedestrians safe when they cross the street.
Where to Use Crosswalk Signs
Most commonly you will find crosswalk signs being used at busy intersections to help people cross the street safely. These signs are very effective in alerting drivers to areas where pedestrians could be walking and also designate a safe place for people to cross streets. Busy intersections are just one area you might find crosswalk traffic signs. You’ll also find them in places including:
• School grounds. One of the highest traffic areas for cars and pedestrians is on school grounds. Whether your child is walking to school or simply crossing the street to get to your car, crosswalk signs serve as an important tool for keeping everyone safe on school property.
• Churches and synagogues. Places of worship often use crosswalk traffic signs and crossing guards to ensure that their members get to and from services safely. This is especially important for escorting families and elderly people to and from the church or synagogue.
• Shopping centers. Malls and shopping centers are high traffic areas that pose a lot of potential dangers to pedestrians. To get people safely from the parking lot or garage to the shopping center, crosswalk traffic signs are used. These designate where people can cross the street safely and also let drivers know to slow down or stop to let pedestrians cross.
• Grocery stores. Parking lots at grocery stores are always busy. Between people walking to and from the grocery store, cart collectors and drivers, there’s a lot of activity going on. Crosswalk signs are just one medium used to create order and keep people safe.
• Areas where pedestrians shouldn’t cross. It’s possible that city authorities will know which intersections are extremely busy and simply not safe for pedestrians to be crossing. It’s important that the correct “no pedestrian traffic” crosswalk signs are used in these areas to ensure that pedestrians do not cross the street there.
Traffic signs serve many purposes, and ensuring the safety of pedestrians crossing the street is just one use for traffic signs. Crosswalk signs not only keep pedestrians safe, but they also alert drivers to pedestrian traffic so that they know to stop for people crossing the street or to drive through the area with caution.